Saturday, February 28, 2015

What/Why/How - Rachel Bressler

For my project, I want to tell the story of when I was a Princess in the Washington Mardi Gras Ball.  From New Orleans, Louisiana, Mardi Gras, high society, and history have always had significant roles in the culture of the city.  In addition, my father grew up in and has lived in New Orleans for his entire life, and it was always so vital to him for me to know the importance of history as well as for me to get any and all of the experiences that the city had to offer.  That said, some things just weren’t possible due to the fact that we are Jewish.  He joined the Mystick Krewe of Louisianians in the early 90s, hoping that one day I would be given the honor to participate in this historical celebration.  When I finally came of age this past year, my parents were so ecstatic that I had been chosen that they agreed to let me miss almost an entire week of classes for the event.  I was selected by Congressman Cedric Richmond of Louisiana’s 2nd Congressional District for good academic standing, demonstration of community service, and track record of leadership through participation in sports, work experience/internships, and/or other extracurricular activities.  Interestingly enough, the Congressman was a graduate of the same New Orleans high school that my father and I had also both attended. 
On Tuesday, January 20th, I flew from Atlanta to Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  My first day as a princess started very early on Wednesday with a trip to the Governor’s Mansion.  I have always assumed that to be in politics, charisma and extroversion were necessary.  Contrary to my belief, Louisiana’s Governor, Bobby Jindal, was one of the quietest and most awkward people I have ever met.  When I told my father about it, he laughed and told me that in all the years they have known each other, the Governor was one of the shyest men he had met.  Later, I left the mansion and flew to Washington DC.  Thursday’s itinerary included a tour of the Capitol, a meeting with the congressional representative, a luncheon hosted by the King, and a Royal Tea with Dr. Laura Cassidy (wife of Senator Bill Cassidy).  That night was the “Louisiana Alive” party, where I met Mayor Mitch Landrieu and Attorney General Buddy Caldwell.  On Friday, I went to Arlington Cemetery, a few of the memorials, and a Royal Court Luncheon at the Sulgrave Club (the most exclusive private ladies club in Washington DC).  Later that night, I, as a princess, was presented at the Krewe Dinner/Dance.  Then came Saturday, and I was presented, with my father, at the Washington Mardi Gras Ball.  I had not seen my father smile so much in a while.  I flew back to Atlanta on Sunday, sleep deprived and probably five pounds heavier.  Regardless, it was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had and I am so glad that I was given the opportunity to participate in the Washington Mardi Gras.  In my project, I plan to go into more detail about some of these events, and focus in on the importance. 
This is an important story for me to tell for a few reasons.  Though it may sound silly and superficial to some, we as Louisianians are well aware of how big of an honor it is to be a part of such an incredible tradition.  As I mentioned before, my father has been a part of this culture and celebration for his entire life, as well as a long-time member of this Krewe.  When I was chosen to be a Princess for this ball, I could easily tell how proud he was – something that has always been really important to me.  Throughout the week, I met so many people, from the other princesses to many important and influential people from my state.  My father knew so many of these people at the ball, and whenever someone came up to talk to him, he couldn't wait to introduce me as his daughter, the princess. 

I plan to tie my story into what we've been discussing in class by bringing up Arendt’s concepts of natality (how we distinguish ourselves) and plurality (we are the same because we are different).  Arendt makes the point we are all different, with our individual qualities that make us ourselves, but at the same time we come together to face one another as equals because of the fact that we are all different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment